Issue/Context: Gun Control in USA
Directed by: Michael Moore’s 2002 American Documentary
Box Office $58,008,423
Budget $4 Million
- Black and White Archival Footage of soldier, with narrator/voice over, American theme music. 500 firearms handed to costumers when they open a free account at the Bank – Ironic of violence.
- Introduction to history of Michael Moore’s childhood, growing up around the Gun.
- Gun ammo can be purchased at the Barber Shop.
- Male Hunter – “Every American is entitled to a firearm and should therefore own one”.
- Female Hunter – “I got my first gun, as soon as i was able to…It is a means of protection”.
- Interview: Kid: “I got kicked out of school, expelled…yeah 380 days or 176 days, or whatever a year of school is”.
John Nichols: No one has the right to tell me I can’t have it. That is protected on our constitution.
Michael Moore: Where does it say a handgun is protected?
John Nichols: No, gun. We should…
Michael Moore: [interrupting] It doesn’t say gun. It says “arms”.
John Nichols: Arms. What is “arms”?
Michael Moore: Could be a nuclear weapon.
John Nichols: It’s not these – That’s right. It could be a nuclear weapon.
Michael Moore: Do you think you should have the right to have weapons-grade plutonium here in the farm field?
John Nichols: We should be able to have anything…
Michael Moore: [interrupting] Should you have weapons? Should you have weapons-grade plutonium?
John Nichols: I don’t want it.
Michael Moore: But, should you have the right to have it if you did want it?
John Nichols: [thinking about it] That should be restricted.
Michael Moore: Oh. Oh, so you do believe in some restrictions?
John Nichols: Well, there’s wackos out there.
- Narrator: Virginia “Every resident MUST have a gun in the household” – If not it is ILLEGAL.
- Males are more attracted to guns when attractive women are involved with guns – Sexual link.
- Juxtaposition: Montage of death shots by guns – CUT SCENE – “This is a great place to live”.
- South Denver, Littleton: Demonstrating the protectiveness of a “middle class house”. <- Owner.
- USAIF (USA Air Force): “missiles are purely for protection of America from other countries”. Jux: Montage of USA doing the opposite to protection, with missiles, with song ‘What a wonderful World’. Written Text: ‘1980’s: U.S. trains Osama Bin Laden and fellow terrorists to kill Soviets’. September 11, 2001 – As plane flies into building with ‘What a wonderful World’ music playing at the moment.
- Written Text: ‘April 20, 1999’ – Shooting in Columbine High School – Slow Motion shots with distorted audio of panic. Actuality: CCTV camera footage of school. 2 Childern and 1 Teacher killed, 900 injured, several shots fired. Racial Shot of “Black, kid, because he was black”. Parent speaks out to public – loss his son, Daniel “There is something wrong in this country”.
- Matt Stone: deep connection to the animation comedy TV Show, “South Park” – reflection of the Columbine town in the sense of “The land of the free”.
- Columbine High School increases violence behaviour policy to nil through evidence of reference to harm to other students. “A Grade 2 student was sent home after bring a nail clipper to school, they say it could be a weapon”.
- Marilyn Manson (Heavy Metal) – the music that was listened to, by the gunmen of Columbine High School stunt. “Keep everyone to consume” – the media using fear into manipulating Americans into purchases – TV adverts – is seen around the world however the connection is that Americans view weapon adverts on TV, as so to children. – Bad influence. -Through statistics, montage, archival footage, music from A Clockwork Orange (1971 British Film) : “11,127 people killed every year in America”. Gun ownership in America is the cause. Germany has around 335, France 220, Australia/Britain 60’s.
- Animated history: appeal to children
- Archival footage in montage: Popular culture is manipulated through the media – this supports Michael Moore’s view.
- African Americans – “Violent”, European – “Passive”. Representation/Stereotype development of Racism.
- A man would choose a gun over a dying baby…
- TV Show – ‘COPS’ – Has more footage on African Americans then ‘white people’. – Producer/Director interview – Michael Moore is aiming to change the Industries as violence sells.
- Windsor, Canada has very low crime rate – 1 in 3 years, and he was from Detroit.
- Canadians dont lock their doors as exposure to no fear is displayed on the News. (The States always so the fear of gun use and murders and so on).
- Youngest shooting (in American history) of a grade 1 girl, shot to death by a boy, grade 1 student [6 year olds] (in the same classroom).
- “Gun Nuts” blame the parents for allowing guns to be in reach of children.
- “After 9/11 Gun demand grew by 70% and Ammunition grew 140%”.
- Michael Moore managed Kmart to ban the selling of guns and ammunition (from 90 days from that day).
- “We [America] has a history of violence”.